Functional Capacity and Risk Factors in Elderly Trauma Victims
Keywords:Elderly, Activities of Daily Living, Risk Factors, Wounds and Injuries, Hospitalization.
Objective. To determine changes in the functional capacity of elderly victims of external-cause trauma using the Modified Barthel Index and to evaluate related independent risk factors during hospitalization and ninety days after discharge.
Method. This prospective study of 247 elderly trauma victims in northeastern Brazil aged â‰¥ 60 years. Data were analyzed using the software BioEstat 5.0. The Wilcoxon test was used with a significance level of 5%. The independent predictors of incapacity that showed interactions (p<0.2) with the outcome were evaluated using logistic regression with a stepwise selection model and adjusted odds ratios with a confidence interval of 95%. This study was approved by the Research Ethics Committee.
Results. The mean age was 70.8 years, and the mean duration of hospitalization was 10.5 days. The logistic regression analysis showed that a history of cardiovascular disease, traumatic brain injury and femoral neck fracture were independent factors associated with moderate/severe functional incapacity in elderly trauma patients during hospitalization. Ninety days after discharge, associated factors were female gender, age greater than or equal to 80 years and femoral neck fracture.
Conclusion. The Modified Barthel Index showed improvement in functional capacity in almost all categories, except for elderly who remained in wheelchairs during hospitalization and 90 days after hospital discharge, with evidence of independent factors associated with incapacity, particularly femoral neck fracture. Studies involving the elderly can scientifically support the formulation of public policies.
Keywords: Elderly; Activities of Daily Living; Risk Factors; Wounds and Injuries; Hospitalization.
FamÃ F, Murabito M, Beccaria A et al. Polytrauma in geriatric patients: incidence and mortality. BMC Geriatr 2011; 11(suppl 1): A13.
Lima RS, Campos MLP. Perfil do idoso vÃtima de trauma atendido em uma Unidade de UrgÃªncia e EmergÃªncia. Rev esc enferm USP 2011; 45(3): 659-664.
Rosa TEC, Benicio MHD'A, Latorre MRDO, Ramos LR. Fatores determinantes da capacidade funcional entre idosos. Rev SaÃºde PÃºblica 2003; 37(1): 40-48.
Aires M, Paskulin LMG, Morais EP. Capacidade funcional de idosos mais velhos: estudo comparativo em trÃªs regiÃµes do Rio Grande do Sul. Rev Latino-Am. Enfermagem 2010 Jan-Feb; 18(1): [about 7 p.].
Mello-Jorge MHPD, Koizumi MS. Gastos governamentais do SUS com internaÃ§Ãµes hospitalares por causas externas: anÃ¡lise no Estado de SÃ£o Paulo 2000. Rev Bras Epidemiol 2004;7(2): 228-238.
Rubenstein LZ. Falls in older people: epidemiology, risk factors and strategies for prevention. Age Ageing 2006; 35(S2): ii37-ii41.
Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e EstatÃstica (IBGE) [cited 2013 Jul 20]. Available from: http://www.ibge.gov.br
Mahoney FI, Barthel DW. Functional evaluation: the Barthel Index. Md State Med J 1965; 14: 61-65.
Nazzal M, Sa'Adah MA, Al-Ansaris D et al. Stroke rehabilitation: application and analysis of the modified Barthel index in an Arab community. Disability & Rehabilitation 2001; 23(1): 36- 42.
Shah S, Vanclay F, Cooper B. Improving the sensitivity of the Barthel Index for stroke rehabilitation. J Clin Epidemiol 1989; 42(8): 703-709.
Hocking C, Williams M, Broad J, Baskett J. Sensitivity of Shah, Vanclay and Cooper's modified Barthel Index. Clin Rehabil 1999; 13: 141-147.
Minosso JSM, Amendola F, Alvarenga MRM, Oliveira MAC. ValidaÃ§Ã£o, no Brasil, do Ãndice de Barthel em idosos atendidos em ambulatÃ³rios. Acta paul. enferm 2010; 23(2): 218-223.
GuimarÃ£es RB, GuimarÃ£es RB. ValidaÃ§Ã£o e adaptaÃ§Ã£o cultural para a lÃngua portuguesa de escalas de avaliaÃ§Ã£o funcional em doenÃ§as cerebrovasculares: uma tentativa de padronizaÃ§Ã£o e melhora da qualidade de vida. Rev Bras Neurol 2004; 40(3): 5-13.
Nascimento CM, Ribeiro AQ, Cotta RMM et al. Factors associated with functional ability in Brazilian elderly. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 2012; 54: e89-e94.
Teasdale G, Jennett B. Assessment of coma and impaired consciousness: a practical scale. Lancet 1974; 2: 81-84.
McNett M. A review of the predictive ability of Glasgow Coma Scale scores in head injured patients. J Neurosci Nurs 2007; 39(2): 68-75.
Settervall CHC, Sousa RMC, Silva SCF. Escala de Coma de Glasgow nas primeiras 72 horas apÃ³s trauma cranioencefÃ¡lico e mortalidade hospitalar. Rev Latino-Am. Enfermagem 2011; 19(6): 1337-1343.
Teasdale GM, Murray L. Revisiting the Glasgow coma scale and coma score. Intensive Care Med 2000; 26(2): 153-154.
Ronning OE, Guldvog B. Outcome of subacute stroke rehabilitation: a randomized controlled trial. Stroke 1998; 29: 779-784.
Saxena SK, Ng TP, Yong D, Fong NP, Gerald K. Total direct cost, length of hospital stay, institutional discharges and their determinants from rehabilitation settings in stroke patients. Acta Neurol Scand 2006; 114: 307-314.
Supervia A, Aranda D, MÃ rquez A et al. Predicting length of hospitalisation of elderly patients, using the Barthel Index. Ageing 2008; 37(3): 339-342.
Giannoudis PV, Harwood PJ, Court-Brown C, Pape HC. Severe and multiple trauma in older patients: incidence and mortalitaty. Injury 2009; 40: 362-367.
Adam SH, Eid HO, Barss P et al. Epidemiology of geriatric trauma in United Arab Emirates. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 2001; 47: 377-382.
Sterling DA, Oâ€™Connor JA, Bonadies J. Geriatric falls: injury severity is high and disproportionate to mechanism. J Trauma 2001; 50: 116-119.
Roche JJW, Wenn RT, Sahota O, Moran CG. Effect of comorbidities and postoperative complications on mortality after hip fracture in elderly people: prospective observational cohort study. BMJ 2005; 331:1374.
Staudenmayer K, Hsia RY, Mann NC, Spain DA, Newgard CD. Triage of elderly trauma patients: a population-Based perspective. J Am Coll Surg 2013; 217: 569-576.
Chen TY, Peronto CL, Edwards JD. Cognitive function as a prospective predictor of falls. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 2012; 67(6): 720-728.
Kannus P, Sievanen H, Palvanen M, Jarvinen T, Parkkari J. Prevention of falls and consequent injuries in elderly people. Lancet 2005; 366: 1885-1893.
Juliebo V, Krogseth M, Skovlund E, Engedal K, Wyller TB. Medical treatment predicts mortality after hip fracture. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2010; 65A(4): 442-449.
Bergeron E, Clement J, Lavoie A et al. A simple fall in the elderly: not so simple. J Trauma 2006; 60: 268-273.
Heim D, Schoettker P, Spahn DR. Glasgow coma scale in traumatic brain injury. Anaesthesist 2004; 53(12): 1245-55.
Rodrigues RAP, Scudeller PG, Pedrazzi EC, Schiavetto FV, Lange C. Morbidade e sua interferÃªncia na capacidade funcional de idosos. Acta Paul Enfermagem 2008; 21(4): 643-648.
McGuire LC, Ford ES, Ajani UA. The impact of cognitive functioning on mortality and the development of functional disability in older adults with diabetes: the second longitudinal study on aging. BMC Geriatr 2006; 6: 8.
Cunnings-Vaughn LA, Gammack JK. Falls, Osteoporosis and hip fractures. Med Clin N Am 2011; 95: 495-506.
Ferrera PC, Bartï¬eld JM, Dâ€™Andrea CC. Outcomes of admitted geriatric trauma victims. Am J Emerg Med 2000; 18: 575-580.
Abrantes KSM, Menezes TN, Farias MCAD, Casimiro GS, Videres ARN, Abreu LC. Trauma in Elderly People Attended by a Mobile Emergency Service. International Archives of Medicine 2015; 8(80):1-11.
Kojima T, Akishita M, Nakamura T et al. Polypharmacy as a risk for fall occurrence in geriatric outpatients. Geriatr Gerontol Int 2012; 12: 425-430.
Pereira SEM, Puts TEM, Portela MC, Sayeg MA. The impact of hip fracture (HF) on the functional status (FS) of older persons in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: Results of a prospective cohort study. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 2010; 51(1):e28-35.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under aÂ Creative Commons Attribution LicenseÂ that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (SeeÂ The Effect of Open AccessÂ and Benefits of Publishing Open Access).